Friday, August 19, 2011

Short hair = tomboy, No!

     When I was nineteen, I sort of went through a, what-you-call-it?, hair disaster. I went to the hairdressers to get a hair cut, so I told the lady that I wanted to cut my hair short, not a boy cut but about shorter than my shoulder so that I didn't have to tie it up for school, and guess what? She made a few mistakes and cut my hair too short it became like a boy cut.
     I was on the verge of crying when I looked at myself in the mirror, but all she could say was I looked nice. I wanted to strangle her, as her mistake could cause me utter humiliation.
     Being a fashion retard that I was back then, I never thought that I could have short hair and still dress like a girl and work the look. No, instead I started dressing like a guy, thinking that was the only way to save myself from disgrace.
     I never had short hair since I was a kid. I'm the kind of girl who is satisfied with any hairstyles that makes me look like a girl. And having my hair cropped short was certainly a disaster for me, especially that I was studying in a boy's school for form 6 at that time.
     So anyways, as I was saying, I started dressing a bit like a tomboy. But, mind you, I was totally hundred percent girl in my heart and soul, and I still liked guys, but I, being the 'genius' that I was, thought that dressing that way made me keep up with the image.
    But I was only making a big deal in my head. No one made fun of my hair at school. They just asked, why was my hair short, and when I told them the truth that I didn't want it that short, but the hairdresser did it that way, they accepted my answer.
     I somehow got the liking of dressing in cargo pants, with a shirt and walking around like a tough guy. There were even some little kids from the school who, every time they saw me, they'll call me "hip-hop sister". That was the upside to being like a tomboy. The downside to it was that the guys treated me like 'one of the boys', so well, no luck in the romance section. Not that I was complaining.
     By the time I graduated, I managed to grow my hair back, but my attitude kind of stuck on. It wasn't until I started working that I started wearing make-up and using accesories and dressing like a girl. That even scored me a man (which eventually ended). Again, I'm not complaining.
     All I know is that I got to know myself during those times. And now that I'm all 'matured' and stuff, I know that I can rock a short hair and yet still dress like a girl and still be demure. I need not to change my whole personality, unless, on second thought, maybe I am not too girly after all. That's what people say though. Maybe I am a little bit tough, but still soft. After all, no one's perfect, right?
    One thing for sure, I never went back to that hairdressers.




1 comment: